We've decided to postpone our departure to the Region 1 Rally until the official rally start date, August 25. We had planned on going a day or two early, to have more time to browse Quebec. The reason for the delay is that I've been checking into our telecommunications lifelines (wireless phone and wireless Internet) and found that working in Canada with US systems is a problem.
We have two mobile phones, one on Verizon and the other on Sprint, on the theory that perhaps at least one will work most places we go. But both will charge us $0.59 or $0.69 per minute when used in Canada! That would make a horrific phone bill, considering that we typically use up 40 minutes per weekday for business reasons. And our "free nights, weekends, and IN-network calling" program doesn't apply in Canada.
Also, our Internet-in-Motion box does not currently have service in Canada. I've talked to the guys about that and they think we can get set up for service in Canada, but it won't make sense for only a five-day trip. So I'll be relying on wifi cafes instead.
With these challenges, we'll basically have to shut down the Airstream Life Corporate Headquarters for the duration of our trip to Canada and take a real vacation. So, we'll do what working people do: arrive later to the Rally, perhaps Thursday night.
The lack of Internet also means it will be tough to provide updates from the road, but I'll try to get at least one posted during the trip, with pictures of the rally site and all that gleaming aluminum parked together.
So now, with our change in departure date, the count is 15 days to go ...