Last week, the guys at GSM Vehicles removed the battery box as planned, and a section of floor. It was a bit more floor than I expected. The plan was to replace the floor under the battery box, since it would probably be a bit decayed from years of battery fumes, and also smelly. I could have encapsulated the smell with shellac, but what the heck, let's put in new wood.
At the same time, we didn't like the look of a bit toward the wheelwell. The wood was punky there from an old leak, and it seemed best to replace it too. And then of course they took out a bit extra just to be sure... the resulting hole was a rectangle about 2 feet square -- most of the closet floor!
With that section of floor out, we found a small hole in part of the frame. You can see it near the center of the picture. A plate will be welded to it. The rest of the frame looked very good, which is what we expected. We'll take the opportunity to paint it with POR-15 and replace insulation, before the replacement floor goes in.
As I mentioned, the battery box has been fiberglassed. You can see it here in the paint shop. Now it is rigid (unlike the thin floppy original box) and much stronger. This will all go back together early this week.
One of our "punch list" items from March was a broken hinge on the entry door. The door works just fine, so the problem is largely cosmetic, but we want to resolve it before painting. The catch is that to replace the hinge requires us to remove the interior skin of the door as well as part of the trailer's interior wall near the refrigerator. It's surgery, and fairly difficult considering the small amount of benefit we will get from it. But it's now or never, so you can expect some posts on this process later this week.