Big work sessions this weekend! All of the following work was accomplished in two days, with two people. Figure about 40 man-hours, including lunch break and a couple of runs to the hardware store.
Rear bumper assembly was removed and all rusted metal cut off. Dropped the rear three feet of belly pan. (This released a heap of sand and debris, including some women's underwear and a headband.)
We began fabricating new sides for the rear bumper compartment, and welding them on, as well as de-scaling the loose rust and repainting all the exposed frame members with POR-15. (The photo below shows the bumper area before we started work. All that rusted metal is gone now.)
After we got the rear section cleaned and painted, we replaced all the insulation in the rear section of the trailer with either rigid foam board or pink fiberglass.
We also corrected some problems in this area which had previously allowed water to leak directly onto the bathroom floor. For some reason, the Argosy was built without the floor being attached to the perimeter C-channel in the rear corner sections. The floor was quite literally floating, in those areas. We attached the floor to the C-channel with screws and sealed the gaps.
Up front, we removed all the old hitch parts, cleaned and de-scaled the tongue, and painted everything with POR-15.
Inside, we completed the final floor repairs, including a new floor section under the refrigerator area. This included new screening, rigid foam insulation, and a thorough cleaning of the vent. We cut the vent to accomodate the taller new Dometic refrigerator, and eased the refrigerator into place temporarily.
We also dropped the center ceiling panels, in preparation for next weekend's project of replacing the aluminum in the forward section of the coach. Almost all of the interior aluminum will be replaced forward of the first dividing wall (between kitchen and bedroom).
The Univolt had failed, so we removed it (along with quite a bit of rat droppings) and began cleaning out the closet space in preparation for the new Intellipower charger. The water fill was removed and replaced with a salvaged one, thus ending another leak. We also did a bit of caulking along the lower beltline (outside).