Final Work Session
Is it ever really done with a vintage trailer?
We are now back in Plattsburgh, NY for a final work session at GSM Vehicles. I posted our bug list a couple of weeks ago, and now at last we are checking off those items in preparation for our final tour with Vintage Thunder.
Black tank work is notorious for being expensive and unpleasant, so we took some steps to make the job easier before we headed over. We dumped the black tank, then refilled it nearly full with fresh water mixed with Calgon water softener and enzyme black tank chemicals.
We also added a couple of bags of ice cubes -- a popular piece of advice that I think accomplishes very little. The idea is that the ice cubes will slosh around and "scrub" off anything that sticks to the sides of the tank. I think the Calgon does a better job of that.
Whatever it was, the system worked. After 50 miles of driving, we pulled into GSM's parking lot and dumped the tank again. Then we filled with fresh water again and it came out virtually as clean as it went in. So once Colin disassembled the valve and piping, there was nothing particularly objectionable to deal with.
Anyway, the job got done in reasonable time. Colin's comment was that he expected "a nightmare job ... and this was only half a nightmare!" Now the black tank valve is new and most importantly, it no longer leaks.
Meanwhile Eleanor and I teamed up on the fuzzy seal on the screens -- removing the previous fuzzy seal, stripping old adhesive with a power tool, and gluing down the new stuff. It took about 2 hours to do four windows. It's not hard, just time consuming.
Up front, Pat was busy removing the old corroded belly pan in the front and replacing it with new aluminum. This was a bit time consuming too, but the results were superb. He also pinned up some other spots where the belly pan was OK but the rivets needed replacement.
We've still got some work scheduled tomorrow. With luck, we'll have it all done by early afternoon.