Easter Work Session, Day Two
OK, now we're getting somewhere. Working from 8 a.m. to about 11 p.m., with breaks for meals and two runs to the hardware store, we actually accomplished a few things. It's starting to feel like last month when we were hustling to get ready for the Florida State Rally.
Today were expecting rain, so we worked fast on the outside stuff ... and of course it never rained. Brett carefully replaced loose rivets and re-sealed the refrigerator vent in hopes of solving that leak once and for all. He also did some miscellaneous caulking by windows and seams with Par-Bond. I have confidence we are now watertight, but we'll find out for sure in the next rainstorm.
Brett also got the TV antenna on (see picture), and installed our four new Polk speakers and wired up our receiver/amplifier. Now we have tunes indoors, and wow -- does it sound terrific! We're going to put in a 12v outlet nearby for an iPod or the XM satellite radio too.
Brett also installed the bedroom curtain, and got started on installing the catalytic heater. We'll need one more parts run before that item is done. Finally, he put a bead of silicone caulk along the newly installed range and the edge of the countertop. The kitchen is looking good, although in this picture it's messed up with our tools.
Brett also installed rubber isolator feet in an attempt to quiet our "virtually silent" Sureflo Smart Sensor water pump. The thing is much noisier than it should be, even with the new feet. We are considering returning it -- it may have some defect that accounts for the noise.
I started off today by replacing the door lock (a relatively easy thing). I had a spare lock from another project. So now we can lock the door, and the old lock will get cleaned up and sold on eBay. I also spent an hour on my back re-attaching a section of belly pan that didn't stay put during our trip to Ft Myers Beach. I had used the wrong pop rivets when I originally installed it (1/8" instead of the large 3/16" rivets normally used on belly pans) and one-by-one they failed.
I spent much of the day trying to kill a residual odor in the bath and bedroom closets. I sanded the floor and painted it with BIN, which is a shellac designed for stain and odor encapsulation. I also made new flashing to seal up pipes that come up through the floor (to eliminate a possible path for rodents). Unfortunately, at the end of this process the smell remained. I finally realized the smell was emanating from the only section of floor I could not reach with my paint brush -- directly below the battery box, which sits in the bedroom closet. The box, which is cracked and needs complete replacement anyway, is sitting on something left by our friend the rat...
To get the box out, we need to drill out the entire exterior battery compartment door! So for now I've taped that area up to keep the rat urine smell from permeating the closets, and I'll renovate that area after the next trip. Frustrating, but without a new battery box (which must be ordered through an Airstream dealer), I can't even begin the job.
I made good progress in the pantry. We now have a set of custom-made shelves, laminated and trimmed with aluminum edges. This should make life quite a bit more organized. And I gave the hitch a second coat of paint.
Tomorrow we've got a long list of picky little fixes to tackle. We may not get to them all since we are expecting the Easter Bunny to visit for a while, and we've got dinner to look forward to, but it should still be a pretty productive day. Stay tuned!